Sunday 19 April 2009

Pestilence















Here's some photos of PESTILENCE when they played at London Camden Underworld last Sunday 12th March. It was the first time they'd been back in the UK for something like 15 years. I'd never seen them live before and was stoked to see some old school death metal. I've liked Consuming Impulse for a while although admittedly, not since 1989 when it was released. I hadn't even heard of Death metal when i was 9 years old.

You'd be forgiven for thinking Pestilence are American. They're actually Dutch, just like Earache's own Severe Torture. I asked Malcolm (Dome) where they'd been all this time and he said "Not doing a lot, i don't really know". So they split up or where on "hiatus! and now they're back with a new album "Ressurection Macabre" released on Mascot.

Patrick Mameli (frontman) apparently - according to Wikipedia said "It's not a reunion, because I will not be playing with any of the old lineup guys, except Tony Choy, of course so... I always stated there WILL NEVER BE a reunion, and there won't be, since I never look back at the past and I refuse now to play with people that are not on the same musical level as I am. I sang on Testimony and Spheres (two albums later from Consuming Impulse!!), so no need for Martin. This because of the above statement I just made. Furthermore, Martin is doing other things. Good for him. So now you have two members that were in Pestilence before and one new guy. The reason why I bring Pestilence back to life is that people/fans keep asking me for this. The time is right now and Mascot is giving me the opportunity to do so. As you know, I have always been the driving force behind Pestilence, writing all the music and so forth, so that I can state: I will bring back Pestilence to life. More tech and way more brutal than ever before.[1]"

The highlight of Pestilence was Tony Choy. He is one of the most awesome bass players i've ever seen. He has a really funky way of playing death metal. And he's totally hot. Which always helps.

I went backstage to meet the dudes after the show with Olivia, and had a really weird conversation with Patrick about Dio. Where he asked me about his height. And then i got called away. I think Patrick may, just may, have been drunk.

Anyway, i think they were fucking awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment